Protect yourself against Internet fraud!
The vast majority of ads are posted by honest people in good trust. So you can do excellent business. Despite this, it is important to follow a few common sense rules to prevent any attempt to scam.
- Do business with people you can meet in person.
- Never send money by mobile money to a stranger.
- Never send money or products abroad.
- Do not accept checks.
- Ask about the person you're dealing with to confirm name, address and phone number.
- Keep copies of all correspondence (emails, ads, letters, etc.) and details of the person.
- If a deal seems too good to be true, there is every chance that this is the case. Refrain.
How to recognize attempted scam/fraud
The majority of online scams have one or more of these characteristics:
- The person says they are abroad or traveling far.
- The person refuses to meet you in person.
- The person conceals details necessary for trust.
- The texts seem to be copied and pasted.
- The deal seems to be too good to be true.